« Home | Cahaya - Kris Dayanti » | More About AzaLea » | Waiting to Break Away!! » | Self Diagnosis Pressure Test » | From The Corner Of My Eye » | My Test Results Are Out » | A Letter For My Ma On Mother's Day » | Happy Mother's Day (2nd Sunday of May) » | I Am Brooding (Dark, Dark Life) » | I am Busy , Busy, Busy » 

Friday, May 20, 2005 

Me & My Allergy

I have no allergy to medicine. At least not with all the medicines that I've come across.
Enough said bout that, I do have allergy to something else. I am allergic to MSG (mono sodium glutamate) . Once I consumed food that contains MSG, I will scratch away. It is like my body has an MSG detector.
Which is good in a way coz it will keep me inform on the food that might have hidden MSG in them. I can still eat Maggi Mee or Mamee Snacks and certain "jajans" but without the spices and seasoning in the small sachets that came with the packaging.
Cheezels is the nastiest of all. Of course Ajinomoto is a definite No No. I have to be careful when dining outside. Even Pringle's and Mr. Potato, I have to eat sparingly. And they are my favourites *sigh. Campbell's canned soup, I just stare and walk pass the shelf.I even have to skip the delicious Japanese rice crackers. One serving still ok, two , i'll regret in few minutes after that.
So, what is MSG?
Monosodium glutamate is a flavor enhancer and an additive for foods. It used to be that monosodium glutamate (MSG) was used primarily in Asian foods but its use is now widespread. MSG looks like white crystals (eg; Ajinomoto) not unlike that of salt.

These crystals are the sodium salt of glutamic acid and contain L-glutamic and D-glutamic acid. It is made by a fermentation process using chemicals to free the glutamic acid from protein. MSG can be made from corn, starch, molasses or sugar.
MSG can be found not only in canned soups and flavored crackers and chips; it can also be found in frozen treats like ice cream and yoghurt, soda pop and just about anything else. So if you are sensitive or are allergic to MSG, it is very important to read the food labels carefully.
To add on my list, I am lactose intolerant. I can't drink milk without having stomach ache after that and series of toilet visits after that.
The kind of milk that I can drink is lactose free like Enercal. Ya, the one that costs RM25 for a small tin. And it increases your appetite like mad. Oh, well, I have to pass that.Even Anlene lactose free is a No, No. Hmm, might be bcoz they are not 100% lactose free. Daisy or Marigold Hi-Lo, one glass max. Not more.
Funny thing is I'm ok with milk-based food. Cheese, yogurts, yogurt drinks, lassi drinks, I can have them generously. Except to watch out on the cheese calorie count.
It is a wonder sometimes how your body tells you on things that you didn't know of unless you have consumed them. And hopefully, next time you want to eat these food, you will remember what it will do to you.
Like the saying " Once Bitten Twice Shy". But in my case it is normally " More Than Once Eaten, Regret Later".
Ha ha. Stubborn girl.

we are so alike. i am also lactose intolerant. and i have allergy to msg.

ah..susahnya ada allergy yg kita tak nampak. Kalau allergic seafood tu, senanglah nak avoid.

Nasib baik le my daughters tak kena allergy apa2.

i am lactose intolerent, allergic to seafood and belacan. yeahh.. nice eh?

Salina,
Hey,weclome to the allergy club :D

Along,
True, luckily it is not to seafood or i'll be miserable :( I love seafood.

Caza,
I know how u feel. Seafood allergy is so terukan? Luckily you are not allergic to indulgence :D, that is a life savior kan?

Very nice site!
»

Post a Comment

Yours Truly

  • I'm AzaLea
  • From Cyberjaya, Malaysia
  • Easy Going. Rebel In Silence. Observant. Overcritize. High Aspirations & Dreams. Love Children. Have Just Given Birth To A Beautiful Baby Boy.Love To Have Everyone Around.Love To Be Around Everybody Else.Outgoing. Talkative.
Click To My Profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.